Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Aug. 10 2011- Sept. 13 2011


Before I moved to Trinity my father would tell me “You’re going to have the time of your life” “You’re never going to forget your time at Trinity” etc. For most kids that may seem like standard stuff to hear and there’s nothing unusual about it. For me it’s different so; my parents never went to college so they have no idea what’s it like making it difficult for me to understand how do they know that.

My overall first experience is different from many freshmen here for three reasons. One I’m a first generation student, two I was waitlisted, and three The Plunge. The Plunge was a pre-orientation faith based community service activity offered to freshmen. Because of this I was able to move in 4 days earlier, but I missed to whole move in day experience that freshmen have here. I’m glad I missed it though, I saw those line they did not look fun. Even though I missed move in day, I had something else no one else had, I made friends with about 30+ students. While other students were starting at square one I had a leg up.

2011 Plunge Shirt. Hard to miss.Creative Commons License
The Plunge by Estefan Rodriguez is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

When I went to register for classes I got pretty lucky. My group had the first time slot available. So registration was a breeze. My first day of classes was not too eventful, I wasn’t nervous or worried about anything. I felt like I belonged and wasn’t out of place. The weeks have gone have by fast and the workload has been manageable.

People tend to think of home sickness has part of the college experience. I haven’t experienced this yet and I don’t think I will. I only live three hours away, which is close enough to go back if I want but far enough to feel independent. So far I have only seen my family once since they dropped me off which was Labor Day weekend. They came up to visit and I spent the weekend with them at my second home here in San Antonio. It was nice to see them but I could have gone longer without seeing them. But currently I am planning on going back this weekend since we do not have classes on Friday. I’m not going because I miss them but because I have some business that needs taking care.

Overall my transition here to Trinity has been smooth. I regret nothing about coming here. And I look forward to the years to come .

No comments:

Post a Comment